Before filling out the maintenance request below, please read the troubleshooting guides below. FIRST RENT will handle maintenance requests in the order that they are submitted. See the response time guideline below.
Completing these steps can save you money. FIRST RENT may charge tenants for the service call if the vendor determines failure to perform maintenance tasks as outlined below.
- Smoke Detector will not work when tested –
– Test with approved smoke detector smoke sprays and replace the battery if necessary.
- Smoke Detector beeps –
– Replace the battery and check for proper wire terminal connection.
- No power to plugs or switches –
– Check and reset the breaker panel.
– Check and rest all GFI outlets (located in the kitchen, bathrooms, utility rooms, and garages).
– Check if the plug works off a wall switch.
- Garbage disposal does not work –
1) Flip the switch to the on position. Do you hear a buzz? If you do NOT hear a buzz, then suppress the circular reset button located underneath the disposal and re-test.
2) If you hear a buzz. Turn off the disposal and unplug from the wall. Mounted on the side of the disposal or inside the cabinet should be an Allen wrench (a flat head screwdriver’s work). Put the wrench in the center shaft underneath the disposal – twist back and forth to unjam the disposal.
3) Remove the object that is causing the obstruction, turn it back on, and test.
4) Repeat until the object is removed.
- No hot water –
1) Check the thermostat on the tank for proper temperature setting.
2) Make sure the thermostat dial is not set on the “vacation” setting.
3) Reset breaker in power panel. It would help if you switched breaker switches to the left and then back to the right (on position).
4) Check and reset the button next to the thermostat.
- Hot water is too hot –
Check the thermostat on the tank and turn down the temperature.
- Plumbing or fixtures leak –
Turn off the water fixture and then shut off the water at the supply line. Contact FIRST RENT Property Management immediately.
- A toilet is plugged –
Plunge and test.
- No heat –
1) Check the thermostat.
2) Locate the furnace in the garage or closet, and make sure the cover is on correctly – see photo.
3) Look for an ordinary light switch located next to the furnace and make sure it is turned on.
4) Has the furnace filter been replaced recently? Per your rental agreement, tenants must change the filter every 3-6 months.
5) Is the filter dirty? Replace immediately with the correct furnace filter size – see label on the existing filter.
6) Did you pay your utilities? Or did you issue an order to disconnect the utility?
- Dishwasher won’t drain –
– Clean food out from the bottom of the dishwasher drain. Dishwashers are intended to sanitize dishes. Tenants should wipe off ALL food prior.
- Dishwasher grinds or no water is coming in –
– Turn off. If there is no water on the bottom, pour two large glasses of water into the bottom and re-start. If the problem continues, call FIRST RENT and discontinue use.
- Refrigerator too warm or too cold –
– Check and make sure the thermostat in the refrigerator is set correctly.
- Water drips from freezer to refrigerator compartment –
– Remove all food and store it in a cooler.
– Turn off the refrigerator and allow it to defrost.
– Turn the refrigerator back on and replace food.
- No Air Conditioning –
– Check all circuit breakers. Clean and replace furnace filter and test.
- No Electricity –
– Check all breakers – flip them to the OFF position and then to the ON position.
– Check all GFI in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry room, and garage.
– Call your local power company. Please refer to the “Links” page on our website for utility contact information.
RESPONSE TIME GUIDELINE
RESPONSE TIME GUIDELINE
*Important Note: These are general guidelines only and are subject to 3rd party vendors’ schedules. It is our duty to you to resolve maintenance issues ASAP. We will notify the proper vendor upon receipt of your work order. You will then be contacted by FIRST RENT with an email confirmation along with the assigned vendor’s contact information. All vendors are instructed to contact you ASAP to schedule an appointment. If you do not receive a call from the vendor by the end of the business day, we encourage you to call them directly.
Class I: Emergency Maintenance
What is an Emergency? Anything relating to the property under the lease that is threatening to life, health, or the property, such as:
- Fire – call 911.
- Gas odor – call Gas Company.
- Flood, sewage back-ups, broken water pipes, tree falling on the house
Target: 5 to 8 hours
The Following are NOT Emergencies:
- Refrigerator out
- Locking yourself out of the house
- Power or gas off
- Oven not working
- Water heater out
These issues may be inconvenient, uncomfortable, and aggravating, but they are not emergencies. FIRST RENT Property Management or the property owner is not liable for the loss of food caused by appliance break down or damaged belongings due to water leaks. Please make sure that you have adequate renter’s insurance to cover unforeseen personal losses.
Class II: Urgent Maintenance
- Broken windows
- Plumbing repairs (NOT clogged toilets, see notes below)
- Loose railings
- Wobbly decks
- Electrical problems (not power outages)
Target: 2-4 business-day service
*Note: During peak seasonal months, target response times for heat and air may be subject to delays due to contractor overload.
Class III: Normal Maintenance
- Appliance repair
- Garage repairs
- Leaky faucets
Target: 4-8 business-day service
Class IV: Non-Essential Maintenance
- Fence repair
- Gutter cleaning
Target: 30-day service
Class V: Not a Habitability Issue
Screens, broken lattice, power washing, broken window shade, broken tree limb, missing door stopper, missing doorknob, all light bulbs including stove, chandelier, refrigerator, and fireplace gas keys.
Target: Point these items out during the next property visit or bring them up at lease renewal time. These items may not be approved for repair by the owner.
Homes under a builder’s warranty may take longer than seven days!
Unfortunately, warranty vendors are under contract with the home warranty company, not with FIRST RENT property management or the homeowner.
- You will be charged for the repair cost (including trip charges):
If damage or repairs were caused by you (clogged garbage disposal/toilet, misused appliance, etc.).
- If the repair is your responsibility, per the Rental Agreement (tripped breakers, replacing light bulbs, etc.).
- If you miss an appointment with a contractor assigned by FIRST RENT Property Management or any other vendor.
- If you refuse or restrict access to the house when requested.
Additional charges may apply.
- To ensure reasonable and accurate service:
Be as specific as possible – include room/location.
- Tell us what you have already done to try and fix the problem (if applicable).
- Provide community gate code/ or alarm code (if applicable).
- For appliance problems, include make, model, and serial number.
MAINTENANCE REQUEST FORM
MAINTENANCE REQUEST FORM
Is your company licensed, bonded, and insured?
Do you have professional references?
If so, great! We are always looking for well-qualified vendors to service our rental homes.
Please submit the form below to receive our vendor procedures and information packet.
In the comments section, please let us know your service area.
We look forward to working with you soon!
Our Service Areas
- Property Manager – San Diego
- Property Manager – La Jolla, CA
- Property Manager – Torrey Pines, CA
- Property Manager – Del Mar, CA
- Property Manager – Solana Beach, CA
- Property Manager – Rancho Santa Fe, CA
- Property Manager – Cardiff, CA
- Property Manager – Encinitas, CA
- Property Manager – Carlsbad, CA
- Property Manager – Oceanside, CA
- Property Manager – Vista, CA
- Property Manager – Escondido, CA
- Property Manager – Poway, CA
- Property Manager – Point Loma, CA
- Property Manager – Coronado, CA
- Property Manager – Orange County
- Property Manager – Laguna Niguel, CA
- Property Manager – Laguna Beach, CA
- Property Manager – Mission Viejo, CA
- Property Manager – Aliso Viejo, CA
- Property Manager – Laguna Hills, CA
- Property Manager – Laguna Woods, CA
- Property Manager – Dana Point, CA
- Property Manager – San Juan Capistrano, CA
- Property Manager – San Clemente, CA
- Property Manager – Lake Forest, CA
- Property Manager – Irvine, CA
- Property Manager – Costa Mesa, CA
- Property Manager – Newport Beach, CA
- Property Manager – Rancho Santa Margarita, CA